Softlink IC Blog
Subscribe to our regular updates
We Can Solve Your Digital Content Cataloging Problems!
In most instances, library staff have been responsible for managing resources to ensure they are properly cataloged, making it easy for patrons to find. They add all the correct information on the catalog record and make sure it’s in the right location. It’s no secret this work requires accuracy and attention to detail!
It’s also no secret libraries are adding more and more digital content to their library, knowledge or research center. Recently, more than ever, libraries have implemented a digital first policy over print, which means you’re adding less print on your shelves and more digital resources into your catalog.
How can you make sure your patrons are finding what they want? In their preferred format?
3 Easy Ways to Separate Digital and Print Resources
The combination of print and online resources may confuse some of your patrons and in most cases, they might not even ask for help to find what they’re after.
But why not make it easier to find this information directly from your library homepage? Let Liberty handle the heavy lifting for you. Here’s how Liberty can help:
1. Create a specific bibliographic type (BibType) for print and another for online resources. Patrons can easily discern what resources can be found on the shelves and what digital content they can access directly via a URL or download link.
2. Create custom search tabs which target a specific set of resources in your catalog, for example, searching under the Digital Resources tab you see below will only yield results found as digital content and exclude content found on your shelves.
3. Liberty also gives you the power to create information boxes which help your patrons navigate as they look for information. Create information boxes to access audio or eBooks, digital images and more.
If all these ideas aren’t enough, you may want to consider going straight to the source. Why not engage your patrons? Ask them about their experience using the library’s home page and the library itself! This might provide some valuable insights into new ways to better assist them.
Liberty’s customizable homepage has been designed to give you maximum flexibility to implement what your patrons need. Does your current ILMS make it easy, or even possible, to provide your patrons with easy access to digital resources like Softlink IC’s Liberty does? Check out our earlier blog which will give you plenty of extra food for thought!
Talk to Us!
Would you like to discuss how the idea of digital first is a great opportunity to reinforce the value of your library’s services in the minds of your patrons and your organization?
- You or Your LMS Vendor – Who Controls Your Library’s Business and Security Settings?
- Employee Spotlight – Jeff O’Keeffe
- Got Satellite Collections? Manage Them with Liberty Link
- The Softlink Scoop – Edition 03/2019
- 5 Brilliant Benefits of Liberty v5 to Whet Your Appetite
- So You Think Your Library Homepage is an Attention Grabber? Wait ‘til you Personalise it!
- Data Conversion – Why Softlink Information Centres Does it Better
- The Softlink Scoop – Edition 02/2019
- Showcasing Liberty and illumin at ALIA’s 2019 Conference
- Softlink IC’s First Liberty Virtual User Group Meetings for 2019